In 2016, 1 person is killed every two weeks by a drunk driver in El Paso County. There were also almost 1000 crashes in El Paso caused by drunk drivers resulting in hundreds and hundreds of injuries. Because we are committed to ending the prevalence of drunk driving injuries and death in our community, we are proud sponsors of the El Paso Chapter of MADD. Harmonson Law Firm was one of many community sponsors of the 2017 “Walk Like MADD” fundraising walk. The 2018 Walk Like MADD will be held on September 15, 2018 at the Crime Victims Memorial Park.
Drunk Driving statistics are sobering. Here are some national, state and local statistics that illustrate the dangers of drunk driving:
- Drunk Driving is the NUMBER ONE cause of fatal car related deaths in the United States.
- Every 2 MINUTES someone in the United States is injured by a drunk driver.
- Every 51 MINUTES someone is killed by a drunk driver in the United States.
- 2 OUT OF EVERY 3 people will be impacted by a drunk driver crash in their lifetime.
- In 2016 in TEXAS, 506 people were killed and at least 4,897 people were injured by drunk drivers.
- In EL PASO in 2016, there were 904 alcohol related crashes resulting in 26 fatalities and 224 injuries.
WHAT IS MADD
MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving Drunk Driving) was founded in 1980 in California by a mother whose child was killed by a drunk driver. I first learned of MADD in my childhood in the early 1980s. The son of a family friend was killed by a drunk driver in my hometown of Lubbock, Texas. Because of this tragedy, the mother I helped form the Lubbock Chapter of MADD. MADD volunteers were often seen at local schools, malls and community events displaying a mangled car that was involved in a drunk driving crash that took the life of a Lubbock teenager. The wrecked car was a stark reminder of the toll taken by drunk driving that has stayed with me to this day.
Since the founding of MADD in the ‘80s, the number of deaths in the United States caused by drunk driving has been cut by 50 percent. MADD has helped save over 350,000 lives and counting by their efforts to end drunk driving. But there is still a drunk driving epidemic. Drunk driving is still the number one cause of death on our roadways. Until there is no more drunk driving on our roadways, MADD will be at the forefront to end drunk driving. That is why we are proud to serve as a local sponsor of the MADD El Paso Chapter.
With over 350,000 lives saved and 820,000 victims served, funds raised through Walk Like MADD events allow MADD staff and volunteers to:
- Provide emotional support medical and legal problems that follow a drunk driving crash.
- Advocate for High Visibility Law Enforcement.
- Push for interlock devices for drunk driver offenders (which such laws have been passed in 30 states).
- Lobby for Advanced Vehicle Technology such breath or touch sensors.
- Provide public support like designated driver campaigns, public transportation and ride sharing apps.
Harmonson Law Firm will stand by MADD as long as there are deaths and injuries on the El Paso roads that we, our children, families and friends use every day. Please consider donating to the 2018 Walk Like MADD Event.